[tlhIngan Hol] rIntaH and be-verbs

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Jan 23 12:35:07 PST 2020

On 1/23/2020 3:18 PM, Will Martin wrote:
> The one thing I’ve noticed about all of the canon examples cited is
> that they take the form: [complete Klingon sentence {rIntaH}. None of
> them have a subject noun following {rIntaH}, similar to the way
> {tu’lu’} never becomes {tu’} followed by a subject.
>
> Maybe that’s a coincidence and a sentence like *taQ rIntaH DevwI’* is
> grammatical, but I think we should at least consider that perhaps that
> should have been *taQ DevwI’ rIntaH*.

This is true, and I've considered it, but since it's tangential to the
question and unresolved I didn't bring it up. But the text of TKD says
*rIntaH* can "follow the verb," and calls it a "two-verb (or
two-sentence) construction," so there is reason to suppose that the text
calls for it to immediately follows the verb. Or maybe "follow the verb"
carries an implicit "and any subject it has." Or maybe it can go either way.

Without a clear example, this question must remain unanswered.