[tlhIngan Hol] using {Hoch} after a noun with an adjective

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 09:28:37 PST 2020

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 12:09 PM SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> That last construction only occurs in one song, and doesn't follow known
> rules.

Apparently Okrand chose that construction with the intent that it was an
archaic usage, to mimic the unusual "warrior brave and true" phrasing in
the English. So there's a little bit of a known rule: "combine multiple
*-bogh* clauses with *je* if you want your Klingon to sound archaic". That
said, unless someone was explicitly writing something intended as ancient
poetry, it'd probably be wrong to use that construction.

> Instead, we can say *tInbogh chab 'ej 'eybogh* or *tInbogh 'ej 'eybogh
> chab.* I'm not sure if the form of *tInbogh chab 'ey* or *'eybogh chab
> tIn* has ever been used in canon, though it's perfectly grammatical.

paq'batlh has some:
*yoHbogh SuvwI' law' **many brave warriors* (pages 145-155, line 2)
*Qobbogh may' nI'* *long and dangerous battle* (pages 158-159, line 15)
*quvbogh 'ej valbogh tIqDu' tIQ* *ancient hearts of honor and wisdom *(pages
188-189, line 21), which combines both ways of putting multiple stative
verbs on a noun