[tlhIngan Hol] asking what am I ?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 8 07:12:15 PST 2020

I think you’re being too literal with the English.  Try using an expletive, such as {chay’?}:

(TKD 6.4):  The question word {chay'} "how?" may be used as a one-word sentence meaning
                    “How did this happen? What happened? What the--?”

   chay’!  jIQIp’a’?
   What the ---!  Am I stupid?

Use other expletives depending on how angry you are.  E.g.

   ghay’cha’!  jIQIp ‘e’ DaQub’a’?
   @#$%!  Do you think I’m stupid?

--
Voragh
From: tlhIngan-Hol <tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org> On Behalf Of mayqel qunen'oS

Suppose someone wants to say:  "what am I ? stupid ?"

And suppose that the cookie monster, forbids him to say: {jIQIp'a' ?}, and be done with it, so he *has* to find a way to translate the "what am I ?".

How should he say it ? Should he say: {nuq jIH} ? Or should he say {'Iv jIH} ?

I'm troubled by this, because the way I *feel* the klingon {QIpwI'}, is it being more of an {'Iv} rather than a {nuq}.

But reading {'Iv jIH}, I would expect to read something like {(name of a person) jIH}, rather that {QIpwI' jIH}.

I don't know.. Perhaps I'm (overly) influenced by greek/english on this..