[tlhIngan Hol] machines

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Fri Jan 17 08:49:25 PST 2020

In Hamlet, Act II, scene 2, in a letter to Ophelia, Hamlet finished his
words with

'O dear Ophelia, I am ill at these numbers,
I have not art to reckon my groans: but that
I love thee best, O most best, believe it. Adieu.
'Thine evermore, most dear lady, whilst
this machine is to him, HAMLET.'

The Klingon version ends with

reH banglI', porghDaj yInmoHtaHvIS neH QuQDaj, HAMLET'e'.

translating "machine" as {QuQ}, so I just wondered... {QuQ} is defined
in TKD as "engine", so is {jonta'}, and we also have {jo'} and {mIqta'},
both translated as "machinery".

I am not an expert for Shakespeare, and maybe I do not understand this
line correctly, but what was the reason for this word choice? And what
would you have chosen here?

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"