[tlhIngan Hol] New Words from DIS 2889

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Wed Jan 29 06:00:05 PST 2020

You have a good question for which we don’t have a perfect, authoritative answer. Likely, as others have suggested, you could still say {paq mu’ vIjatlh}, since you are saying the books words, whether reading them or speaking from memory, or if you prefer, you could be more explicit and say, {paq mu’ vIqawchu’} and then quote verbatim. It’s reasonable to think that Klingon speakers should understand that.

The thing that Maltz seemed to be revealing is that instead of, as in English, saying “I am reading to you from a book,” or “I am reading a book to you,” which implies, but does not explicitly state that I am making sounds from my mouth while reading in order to share the contents of the book with you, a Klingon makes the more obvious and clear statement that I am speaking the book’s words. It’s another example of Okrand’s inventive capacity to see an activity from an alien perspective, instead of just using the same phrasing we’d use in English.

It makes sense in English. We just never say it that way. It would sound alien to say it that way.

Wow. Klingons are aliens. No wonder they say it that way.

Cool.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.