[tlhIngan Hol] rIntaH and be-verbs

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 05:17:23 PST 2020

jIH:
> DevwI' vIQuchmoHpu'
> I have caused the leader to be happy, but that happiness is over
SuStel:
> No, it means I caused the leader to be happy, and now my causing that is
over.
> In other words, my action of making the leader happy is complete. Whether
the
> leader is still happy or not is not mentioned.

ok, thanks.

But let me ask you something, since there's something which still confuses
me..

Would you agree, that the sentence {DevwI' vIQuchmoHpu'} could mean as well
"I cause that the leader has been happy, but that happiness is over" ?

I know that it doesn't make sense, as far as it's meaning is concerned, but
I'm just trying to understand how things work.

I understand, that in the translation you provided (the "I caused the
leader to be happy, and now my causing that is over"), the {-pu'} refers to
the {-moH} and then their combined meaning acts on the {Quch}.

But couldn't the {-pu'} act on the {Quch}, and then their combined meaning
being modified by the {-moH} ?

~ mayqel qunen'oS