[tlhIngan Hol] rIntaH and be-verbs

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 06:35:26 PST 2020

SuStel:
> jIQuch rIntaH
> I set out to be happy and accomplished
> being happy, and that happiness is over forever.
lieven:
> In addition, if possible at all, it would mean that I have turned
> to being happy, and that would last for ever.
SuStel:
> That would be jIQuchchoH rIntaH. The addition of choH changes a quality
> verb into an action verb, and so follows what I said earlier about action verbs and rIntaH.

This is all very interesting, and it clarifies many things I've been
wondering about aspect for years..

But I've been wondering, with regards to how the {-moH} fits in all
this. Please read the following sentences, and tell me if you would
agree with the way I understand what they actually mean:

DevwI' vIQuchmoHpu'
I have caused the leader to be happy, but that happiness is over

DevwI' vIQuchchoHmoHpu'
I have caused the leader to be happy, and this state of happiness
continuous. It hasn't ended.

And there's something else, I'm wondering too..

SuStel:
> jIQuch rIntaH
> I set out to be happy and accomplished
> being happy, and that happiness is over forever.

I can't understand the "is over forever" part of the translation. Does
the sentence {jIQuch rIntaH} exclude the possibility that the speaker
of the sentence, can become again happy at some other time ?

~ mayqel qunen'oS