[tlhIngan Hol] placement of {je} relative to the {rIntaH}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Jan 27 06:17:37 PST 2020

On 1/27/2020 9:00 AM, Will Martin wrote:
> The first problem is that your English sentence is very ambiguous, so
> how can we know exactly how to translate it?

The problem here has nothing to do with ambiguity. He's asking about the
order of *je* and *rIntaH.*

If we use *-ta'* instead of *rIntaH* to avoid the problem, the
translation is simple:

*romuluSnganpu' vIjonta' je
*/I captured the Romulans too./

Klingon and English have exactly the same ambiguity. The English could
mean what you said:

> Do you mean “I was among those who captured the Romulans,” or do you
> mean, “I captured prisoners including some Romulans,” or do you mean,
> “I did a bunch of things, including capturing the Romulans,”?

The Klingon can mean exactly these things too. /The Klingon Dictionary
/explicitly points out how *je* can have an ambiguous meaning. This is a
normal part of *je.*