[tlhIngan Hol] using {Doch} for non-physical things

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 09:00:06 PST 2020

Hugh:
> I think you can use a more specific word than {Doch} for “matter” here.
> The newer glosses of “topic, subject, theme” for {meq} would seem appropriate.

I've totally forgotten about this.. Indeed, {meq} would be a good choice.

SuStel:
> Soj is not slang, it's just idiomatic

This is something I always had trouble understanding..

Slang can't be used in formal speech; but can someone use idioms in
formal speech, passages, etc ?

voragh:
> Depending on the nature of the “matter” we also have:
> ghu'       situation,  proposal (PB)
> wanI'     phenomenon, event, occurrence, effect (qepHom 2016)

I've been often using {ghu'} and {wanI'}, however there are times
something else is called for. I can't think of specific examples right
now, but there are times I need some other "shade" of these words.

Perhaps in order to say something like "I love you for the things you
do".. I know, that there are ways to rephrase, but I think it would be
good, to have the option to use {Doch} too.

I agree though, that overusing {Doch} or any other word, can irritate
the reader/listener, and doing so should be avoided.

~ mayqel qunen'oS