[tlhIngan Hol] placement of rIntaH relative to the verb

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 06:51:20 PST 2020

The discussion of {rIntaH} from TKD:

> The meaning of {-ta'} can also be indicated syntactically. That is,
> instead of using the suffix {-ta',} a special verbal construction can
> follow the verb which indicates the accomplished action. This special verb
> is {rIn} <be finished, accomplished,> and in this usage it always takes the
> suffix {-taH} <continuous> (see below) and the third-person pronominal
> prefix (0).

The discussion of {qar'a'} from TKDa:

> This word either follows the verb or else comes at the end of the
> sentence. Both of the following are correct:
>
>     {De' Sov qar'a' HoD}
>     {De' Sov HoD qar'a'} <The captain knows the information, right?>
> ({De'} <information,> {Sov} <he/she knows it,> {HoD} <captain>)

MO uses "follow the verb" to refer to the placement of both constructions.
In the {qar'a'} example {De' Sov qar'a' HoD}, the special construction
described as following the verb comes before the explicit subject {HoD}. It
seems reasonable to assume that when MO speaks of a special verb
construction following the verb, he means right after the verb and before
the subject. {rIntaH} is a special verb construction that follows the verb,
so I conclude it would go before the subject: {qa'vam De' je' rIntaH
valQIS.}