[tlhIngan Hol] rIntaH and be-verbs

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Thu Jan 23 06:46:54 PST 2020

Am 23.01.2020 um 15:32 schrieb SuStel:

> *jIQuch rIntaH.
> */I was happy (but that happiness is over forever)./

Are you sure? How can you deliberately decide to have completed being
happy? In addition, if possible at all, it would mean that I have turned
to being happy, and that would last for ever.

What does {jIQuchta'} mean?

TKD:
This suffix is similar to {-pu',} but it is used when an activity was
deliberately undertaken, the implication being that someone set out to
do something and in fact did it.

[...] instead of using the suffix {-ta',} [...] The resulting
construction, {rIntaH,} literally means "it continues to be finished" or
"it remains accomplished," It is used to indicate that the action
denoted by the preceding verb is a fait accompli: it is done, and it
cannot be undone.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"