[tlhIngan Hol] pronouns in noun-noun constructions

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Jan 22 06:28:03 PST 2020

On 1/22/2020 8:02 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> Suppose I write:
>
> {ghaH loDnI'} with the interned meaning "the brother of him".
>
> Would it be correct ?

With the exception of locative and directional nouns, the answer is no,
you can't do this. You need to use *loDnI'wI'.*

With locative nouns (*tlhop, Dung, retlh,* etc.) you use the form
/pronoun noun,/ such as *jIH tlhop*/area in front of me/ and *tlhIH
Dung*/area above you (plural)./ Speakers from the Sakrej region of
Kronos are different and use possessive suffixes for these *(tlhopwIj;
Dungraj).*

The directional nouns use suffixes in all dialects (*'evmaj*/northwest
of us,/ *chanDaj*/east of him/her/it/). All dialects except the Sakrej
dialect also allow the /pronoun noun/ form *(maH 'ev, ghaH chan),* but
the difference between the two forms is that the form with the pronoun
emphasizes that the pronoun is the reference point, while the form with
suffixes is more neutral. (*'evmaj*/northwest of us,/ but *maH
'ev*/northwest of *US*/).

One wonders whether *ghaH loDnI'* might carry the same sense of emphasis
(i.e., /*HIS* brother/), but so far as we know that idea of emphasis
applies only to directional nouns.

http://klingonska.org/canon/1999-12-holqed-08-4-a.txt