[tlhIngan Hol] can I say {jaghpu' chaH chaH'e'} ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Jan 21 07:08:19 PST 2020

On 1/21/2020 9:42 AM, jevreh at qeylis.net wrote:
>> On Jan 21, 2020, at 09:23, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
>> *jaghpu' chaH romuluSnganpu''e'*
>>
>> /As for Romulans, enemies them./
>>

> By that logic, why wouldn’t {jaghpu’ chaH chaH’e’} be possible — if
> redundant and possibly overly dramatic?
>
> “As for them, they are enemies.”
>
> Certainly not something one would say in normal conversation, but
> being dramatic for the same of emphasis? Seems plausible.

Look, I can't disprove it. I also can't disprove *chaH chaH chaH'e',* or
even *ghaH ghaH ghaH je chaH ghaH'e' ghaH'e' ghaH'e' je, *but they're
still not right.

Between clearly grammatical and clearly ungrammatical there lies the
hazy middle-ground of "I see what you did there." /Grammatical/ doesn't
only mean /follows the rules of syntax;/ it also means /What you say is
accepted//./