[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: jabbI'ID

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 16 07:23:39 PST 2020

Klingon word: jabbI'ID
Part of speech: noun
Definition: data transmission
Source: TKD

jabbI'ID pItlh
Transmission completed. ST3

jabbI'IDlIj vIlaDpu'.
[untranslated)  st.k (MO to SuStel 11/1996)

tlhIngan jabbI'ID le'
Special Klingon issue (STC)

janmey ngo' lulo'lu'DI' pIj jabbI'ID nISpu' woj
Older models were susceptible to radiation. (S19 re communicators)

jabbI'ID pup:  Qapchu'meH 'aqroS chuq:  cha' vI' chorgh loghqammey
High Resolution - Maximum Effective Range - 3.5 Light Years  (KBoP)

jabbI'ID pupHa':  Qapchu'meH chuq:  chorgh vI' chorgh loghqammey
Medium to Low Resolution - Effective Range - 11 Light Years. (KBOP)

jabbI'ID tInqu' wItu'pu'.   		[NON-CANON]
We have intercepted a massive signal. 	(DSC/Qov "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum")

(Felix, 10/25/2017):  Lieven has written on Twitter that this word [{rIS} "make a cracking or snapping sound, emit a signal"] is similar to {tlhuD}.  It used to be used to transmit audio, but now is apparently also a way to transmit life signs.

(Will Martin, 11/5/2015):  I’m pretty sure that Valkris used the word {jabbI’ID} in ST3.  I think it was the Klingon word created to fit her lip movements as she said the English word "transmission" on camera and later dubbed it into Klingon under Okrand’s direction.

TREK TRIVIA:
The Romulans routinely monitor the telemetry of Starfleet long-range automated probes. (TNG “Tin Man”)

"Sweep the area of the Antares transmission with our probe scanners, Mr Spock." (TOS "Charlie X")

No form of transmission can penetrate the Galactic Barrier. Deflectors register it, but sensors do not. (TOS "By Any Other Name")

SEE:
*jabbI'IDghom  		mailing list, newsgroup, discussion group (n)
*jabbI'ID Quv 		e-mail address (n)

Both of these have been used here since the very beginning of the tlhIngan-Hol list for years (decades really) faute de mieux.  [For the old-timers:  When was this list started? IIRC I joined it circa 1990.]

SEE ALSO:
De' 		data, information (n)
maQ 		signal (n)
QIn 		message (n)
rI'Se' 		hailing frequency (n)
Se' 		frequency (n)
Sotlaw' 		distress call (n)
HablI' 		data transceiving device (n)

lab 		transmit data [from a place] (v)
lI' 		transmit data [to a place] (v)
tlhuD  		emit (energy, radiation) (v)
rIS  		make a cracking/snapping sound; signal, emit a signal (v)
rI' 		hail (v)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons