[tlhIngan Hol] using {Hoch} after a noun with an adjective

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Jan 14 09:52:40 PST 2020

On 1/14/2020 12:28 PM, nIqolay Q wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 12:09 PM SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name
> <mailto:sustel at trimboli.name>> wrote:
>
>     That last construction only occurs in one song, and doesn't follow
>     known rules.
>
> Apparently Okrand chose that construction with the intent that it was
> an archaic usage, to mimic the unusual "warrior brave and true"
> phrasing in the English. So there's a little bit of a known rule:
> "combine multiple *-bogh* clauses with *je* if you want your Klingon
> to sound archaic".

This seems possible, but it's also possible that this translation, which
was fairly early for him, was just a too-close translation of the
English. Unless he tells us that that's what he was doing, we don't
really know for sure. We can't be absolutely sure the phrase is not
allowed, but we also can't really explain its grammar for certain either.

>     Instead, we can say *tInbogh chab 'ej 'eybogh* or *tInbogh 'ej
>     'eybogh chab.* I'm not sure if the form of *tInbogh chab 'ey* or
>     *'eybogh chab tIn* has ever been used in canon, though it's
>     perfectly grammatical.
>
> paq'batlh has some:
> *yoHbogh SuvwI' law' */many brave warriors/ (pages 145-155, line 2)
> *Qobbogh may' nI'* /long and dangerous battle/ (pages 158-159, line 15)
> *quvbogh 'ej valbogh tIqDu' tIQ* /ancient hearts of honor and wisdom
> /(pages 188-189, line 21), which combines both ways of putting
> multiple stative verbs on a noun

In that case, there seems to be no reason not to use this form too.