[tlhIngan Hol] meaning of an {x-mo' verb-be'} sentence

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Sun Jan 12 11:56:37 PST 2020


It’s nice to see how diplomatic you can be while you avoid any temptation to exaggerate or insult anybody. You clearly don’t seek to amplify disagreements or overstate the contrast between your flawless comprehension of everyone’s side of the argument and … whatever anyone else says.

We are so fortunate to have you here, keeping the peace. Good work.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.

> On Jan 12, 2020, at 2:39 PM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
> 
> On 1/12/2020 2:02 PM, Will Martin wrote:
>> 
>> meqlIj? meqlIj vInoHbe’. I know that I do not understand other people’s motives. I do note their apparent priorities. That’s very much not the same thing.
> Semantic backpedaling.
> 
> 
> 
>> I’m frequently surprised by how often others presume to understand MY motives.
> I don't understand your motives. They're bizarre.
> 
> 
> 
>> I’m saying this in English because I have little enough faith that it can be communicated well to you and mayqel in English and far less faith that you can handle that subtlety of intent in Klingon.
> bItlhaQqu'! choHagh 'e' yImev; jItaHlaHbe'! Subtle? SoH?! SommI' jejHa' rur Hol laHlIj.
> 
> 
> 
>> Ironically, I’ve tried to talk about how important Klingon cultural context is in understanding expressions, and I forgot about the cultural context of this list. In this list, the cultural context is that I’m expected to be a jerk with evil motives, so whatever I say gets that baggage added to it, whether it deserves it or not. It’s just assumed.
> bImIghbe'ba'. bIvIngbej. bIlachbej. bIlaDHa'bej. 'ach bImIghbe'.
> 
> 
> 
>> A motive is a “why”. A priority is a “what”. They are quite different in character.
> Well then stop judging people's priorities.
> 
> 
> 
>>>> I presume nothing about what you intended to poorly communicate.
>>> "If he’s saying that he dodged a bullet, then perhaps his focus on being concise has trumped his interest in being understood."
>>> 
>>> tlhIngan Hol jatlhlu'taHvIS, chay' presumption jatlhlu'? mu'tlheghvam Delchu' mu'vam.
>>> 
>>> batlh Qumpu' mayqel. vay' yajchu'be'pu', vaj boQmaj neHpu'.
>>> 
>> Focus is not motive. It’s priority. There’s an option to be concise. There’s an option to be comprehensively understood. He appeared to lean in toward being concise.
> 
> Excuse me, sir. You appear to be sitting in a pile of cow manure.
> 
> He tried to make a sentence. He asked if he got it right. He wasn't trying to be especially concise; he was asking if it would be understood. That's it. He didn't ask you to turn into a Klingon, transport him to the Homeworld, and ask the nearby Klingons to psychoanalyze him. And when you tried to do exactly this, with the backing of the suggestions I offered, I objected to the accuracy of the methodology.
> 
> 
>> None of this has anything to do with motives. You and he seem remarkably drawn toward wanting to talk about motives. If that trend has a motive behind it, I honestly don’t understand it. I prefer to assume that a person understands their own motives better than I do, so I try not to comment on it, unless it really gets in the way of communication to avoid the topic.
>> 
>> My motive is that I want to play. You guys seem to want to argue and insult. I have no idea why.
> You see? You're doing it again. 
> 
> You're the one who started this, stating that you knew full well that you were starting an argument.
> 
> 
> 
>> Great question, very similar to your {jISaHbe’}, quickly followed by insisting that I answer some question you had next to {jISaHbe’} that I didn’t bother with because, hey, you don’t care, right? Why ask a question about something you don’t care about, and then get huffy about not getting an answer?
> You sent a message to the list saying that today you were a Klingon, and stuff about Marc Okrand being right over you. So I engaged you in your premise and responded as a Klingon. Just as the Klingon in Power Klingon answers the Terran opening a conversation with talk about the weather, you opened a conversation by talking about Okrand's superior canonicity. This didn't seem to be relevant to anything, so I answered the same was as the Klingon in PK: I don't care. Whaddyawant? State your business. And you didn't do that. You complained that I'd answered you: if I didn't care, why did I answer? Just like the bumbling Terran who asked, "Why did you say you don't care?"
> 
> You utterly failed to behave like a Klingon. You didn't make your business known, and when told to do so in the usual Klingon manner, you failed to correct your mistake. You deserve to be blasted with a disruptor. In your pretend Klingon world, of course.
> 
> 
> -- 
> SuStel
> http://trimboli.name <http://trimboli.name/>_______________________________________________
> tlhIngan-Hol mailing list
> tlhIngan-Hol at lists.kli.org
> http://lists.kli.org/listinfo.cgi/tlhingan-hol-kli.org

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.kli.org/pipermail/tlhingan-hol-kli.org/attachments/20200112/85898bff/attachment.html>


More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list