[tlhIngan Hol] relative clauses with {Hoch} in noun-noun constructions

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Jan 6 08:00:03 PST 2020

On 1/6/2020 10:51 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> I was under the impression that {Hoch} could mean "everything" only
> when used on its own, as for instance in {Hoch vor Dargh wIb}.
>
> My misconception was, that in Hoch-noun constructions, {Hoch} could
> *only* mean, "each noun", or "all nouns" depending on the presence of
> {-pu'}/{-mey'} or not.

I dunno, maybe these are true. I don't think we've ever seen *Hoch X*
mean anything other than /each X,/ but there's also no rule against it
meaning the more general /X of everything./ Lacking anything concrete, I
concede that they are possible, if not definite. It's also the reason I
suggest not overloading the use of *Hoch* when we don't know everything
about it. Stick to what is known.