[tlhIngan Hol] windlass

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Feb 7 07:20:16 PST 2020

On 2/7/2020 9:57 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> I think my question more about English than Klingon.
> Regarding the word {tlhegh jIrmoHwI'} which is translated as "windlass",
> what other kinds of {X jIrmoHwI'} would make sense, and how would you
> translate {jIrmoHwI'} without doing it literally?
> In other words, is there a "windlass" not used with a rope? 

The word derives 
<https://www.etymonline.com/word/windlass#etymonline_v_10775> from Old 
Norse words /vinda/ ("to wind") and /ass/ ("pole, beam"). I can't think 
of anything other than a *tlhegh* that can be wound around a beam to 
lift or lower something. Did you have something in particular in mind?


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.kli.org/pipermail/tlhingan-hol-kli.org/attachments/20200207/fb9d4451/attachment-0004.htm>

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list