[tlhIngan Hol] why we shouldn't do transcriptions

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Thu Feb 27 02:31:54 PST 2020

> So you see how one apparently minor insignificant decision can have
> large consequences many years later.

I would argue that this is actually a pretty minor problem, based on a rather important creative decision.

I use transcription for a number of reasons:

* So that my texts could be read either in romanization or in pIqaD. In some settings, I do so at least hypothetically make texts accessible to "real" Klingons (or even to role-play as one). At other times, it is a purely stylistic choice.

* So as not to break the flow of the language in speech (just as I pronounce my own name differently depending on if I'm speaking in Swedish, English or French, and both pronounce and spell it differently in Japanese).

* To avoid assigning particular priority to a given Earth writing system, and create at least some semblance of even ground for all Klingon-speakers, regardless of their first language.
If Nick Nicholas hadn't transcribed names in his translation of the Gospel of Mark, he'd have had to either fill the text with Ancient Greek names like Πέτρος and Ἰησοῦς Χριστός (which would make it difficult for most of us to read, and give rather a disjointed impression), or to use Roman script (which I'd argue misrepresents the source material).

> If anyone who knows nothing about Klingon, Okrand, our group's
> conventions, or anything, tries to analyze that text - assuming they
> find out the corrected grammar - they will also find that pe'tlhoS is
> Klingon for "Peter".

New learners make incorrect assumptions all the time, and not just in Klingon; language learning is a long back-and-forth of mistakes and corrections, and recognizing differences in usage, among both native speakers and fellow learners at various levels.

//loghaD