[tlhIngan Hol] 'op jajmey..

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Feb 18 12:25:48 PST 2020

Consider that the Klingon {-lu’} and the pronoun {vay’} have proportionally high usage in Klingon canon compared to any use of a generic “you” (using {Da-} or such), and English sounds awkward when we try to talk about the generic “one” doing things, or if we overuse the passive voice, which isn’t the same as {-lu’}, but for translation purposes, it often works as an alternative to making the subject the generic “one”.

Basically, as English speakers, we are biased against the laziest translations of {-lu’} and {vay’} and biased toward the generic “you”. It’s not a bias that gracefully carries over to Klingon.

I agree with SuStel and ghunchu’wI’ on this, and I’ll point out that whenever SuStel and ghunchu’wI’ agree on something, that’s usually worth paying attention to. I don’t think it’s just a matter of personal style. I think that if you lean in too hard on the use of the generic “you”, there’s something about the language and its conventions that you aren’t paying attention to.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.