[tlhIngan Hol] emphasizing by asteriscs prefixes and suffixes

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 05:23:28 PST 2020

I was thinking..

If we can use asteriscs, in order to emphasize a whole word in a klingon
passage, then perhaps it would be possible, to use asteriscs to emphasize a
particular prefix/suffix.

Examples:

vIghro' tIQ Daghaj*chugh*
*if* you had an ancient cat

vIghro' tIQ Daghaj*laH*chugh
if you were *able* to have an ancient cat

vIghro' tIQ *Da*ghajlaHchugh
if *you* were able to have an ancient cat
(with the emphasis focusing on the you-it meaning)

vIghro'*na'* tIQ vInej
I search the ancient *definite* cat

vIghro'na'*wIj* tIQ vInej
I search *my* ancient definite cat

Now..

I know, that for the purpose of emphasis, we could use the {-qu'} for
verbs, and the {-'e'} for nouns.

But as has been often said, the {-qu'} could be interpreted as to be
emphasizing the entire preceding word with everything attached to it, and
not *just* what immediately precedes it.

And of course, the {-'e'} by definition, doesn't focus only on what
immediately precedes it.

So, perhaps, the asteriscs *could* be the way to go..

~ mayqel qunen'oS