[tlhIngan Hol] rIntaH and be-verbs

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 04:58:37 PST 2020

jIH:
> {HoDvaD jagh vIjonchoHmoHpu'}:
> I've caused the captain to begin to capture the enemy.
> The event which has been completed, is the "my causing
> of the captain". The sentence does not specify, whether
> the "capturing is completed".
> Theoretically, it could mean too "I cause that the captain has
> begun to capture the enemy", but again this makes no sense.
SuStel:
> Correct. I'll bet Klingon time travel involves a lot of those
> nonsense combinations starting to make sense.

Would you agree, that the sentence {HoDvaD jagh vIjonchoHmoHpu'}, can
have the following meaning too ?

"I have begun to cause that the captain captures the enemy".

With the completed event, being my "beginning to cause the captain".

Moving on..

During the weekend, I had the chance to re-read this thread, and come
to the following conclusions.. If it's not much trouble, tell me
whether you agree, with the following statements:

1. Everything which has been said for the {-pu'} in this thread, with
regards to how it interacts with any other suffixes, goes to for the
{-ta'}, {-lI'}, and {-taH}.

The only difference, is that the {-ta'} expresses intention, the
{-lI'} progress to a known goal or stopping point, and the {-taH}
continuous action.

(I know this is probably obvious, but I'm writing this, for the sake
of being thorough)

2. In the case that any of the four aspect suffixes, coexists with any
other verb suffix, then every suffix including the aspect suffix, can
act on any other suffix, thus producing many possible translations.

And finally, there's something I'm wondering with regards to the {-taHvIS}..

If we write the sentence:

{HoDvaD jagh vIjonchoHmoHtaHvIS, latlh Duj vIlegh}

Would you agree, that any of the following translations is possible ?

1. "While I'm beginning to cause that the captain captures the enemy,
I see another ship". (i.e. the {-taHvIS} acts on the {-choH}).

2. "While I'm causing the captain to begin to capture the enemy, I see
another ship" (i.e. the {-taHvIS} acts on the {-moH}).

3. I cause, that while the captain is beginning to capture the enemy,
I see another ship.

~ mayqel qunen'oS