[tlhIngan Hol] intransitivity

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Feb 24 14:04:23 PST 2020

On 2/24/2020 4:55 PM, Will Martin wrote:
> Transitivity is a little messy in Klingon.
>
> We have a few examples, like {vum} which we know is “intransitive” in
> the sense that the subject is the thing moving and if an agent causes
> something else to move, then {vemmoH [agent]}. We didn’t get that from
> canon examples. We got it from a conversation with Okrand about that
> specific verb. He doesn’t talk about most verbs like that, so we have
> to guess.

I think you mean *vIH,* not *vum* or *vem.* Okrand told us that the
intention behind that was /be in motion,/ not /cause something to move./

> Even if we have an example or two of a verb being used transitively or
> intransitively, we can’t know for sure if the non-canon interpretation
> of canon is wrong if we haven’t had that explained to us because some
> verbs get used both ways. We also know why this is true:
>
> Okrand doesn’t want to mark a verb one way and later forget and use it
> the other way, so he doesn’t want to tell us which way is right so we
> won’t come back to him and tell him later that he’s using it wrong.

How do you know this is his motivation? Are you guessing?

> {ja’} and {jatlh} has changed over time, for example. Originally, the
> direct object of {ja’} was the person spoken to,

No, originally we didn't have an examples of a direct object on *ja'**.*
We DID have examples of prefixes on *ja',* but nowhere did it tell us
that the prefix shown was necessarily a direct object. It's now quite
clear that prefixes don't always agree with a direct object, and they
didn't even when TKD was written.

> and the direct object of {jatlh} was the language or
> noun-representing-words-being-said (like a poem or a speech). It was a
> neat difference between the two verbs. Then it got smeared by canon
> example, and now, it’s not really obvious that either verb is wrong
> for either kind of object.

*jatlh* and *ja'* never meant the same thing just with different syntax.
*jatlh* /speak, say/ and *ja'* /tell, report/ have different
translations. One means something like "vocalize words," while the other
means something like "impart information." Both can be used the same
special way in sentence-as-object constructions, but that's about the
end of it.

All we needed was confirmation as to what sort of direct object *ja'*
could take, and we now have that.