[tlhIngan Hol] Apposition on wI'-nouns

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Feb 21 09:42:11 PST 2020

On 2/21/2020 11:56 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> Am 21.02.2020 um 14:14 schrieb Felix Malmenbeck:
>> I don't think this looks like a case of apposition; noun-noun
>> compounds cover a wide range of relations, and this seems to be in
>> keeping with that.
>>
>> A {DIr QanwI' taS} is a type of solution. What kind of solution? The
>> skin protector type.
>> A {wab labwI' jan} is a type of device. What kind of device? The
>> sound-transmitter type.
>
> That's exactly my point. So if "apposition" is not the correct word, how
> would you describe this ..."situation" or "construction"?

The word is /genitive./ The first noun of a noun-noun construction is a
genitive noun. A genitive noun is a noun that modifies the sense of
another noun.

*bIQ bal* /water jug
/*Sor Hap*/wood//
/*torgh Sut*/Torg's clothes
/*nuH bey'*/ceremonial display of weapons/

Apposition, on the other hand, is where two nouns or noun phrases are
side by side, and one further identifies the other.

*DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'*/Federation starship /Enterprise
*torgh, vavwI', DaHoHpu'*/**You killed my father Torg./