[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: vIqraq

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Feb 19 05:54:19 PST 2020

On 2/19/2020 1:30 AM, De'vID wrote:
> Someone (Visirius) posted this about ablaut reduplication on the
> Klingon Discord recently and it seems relevant to {vIqraq}:
> https://www.rd.com/culture/ablaut-reduplication/
>
> Does Klingon also follow this pattern? That is, are there words that
> sound like *{vaqrIq} instead? The only one that comes to mind is
> {raS'IS} (which is not *{rIS'aS}).

I don't know about this particular rule, but I do know that Okrand has
given such things thought. We have the words *Dung*/area above/ and
*bIng*/area below,/ which sound exactly backwards to an
English-speaker's ear (which tends to have front-vowels for /up/ and
back-vowels for /down/). I believe Okrand confirmed — though I cannot
cite a source; it may have been a conversation at a qep'a' — that he did
this intentionally.

It's also possible that Okrand doesn't know about ablaut reduplication
and lets his English bias bleed into Klingon.