[tlhIngan Hol] "Make your own language"?

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 04:02:56 PST 2020

On Tue, 4 Feb 2020 at 12:24, Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 04.02.2020 um 11:40 schrieb De'vID:
> > I suggest {HollIj tlhIn yI'ogh}:
> > * {Hol} n. language
> > * {-lIj} your
> > * {tlhIn} v. be particular, individual
> > * {yI-} verb prefix for you-it
> > * {'ogh} v. invent, devise
> >
> > An alternative is to use {chenmoH} "cause to take form" rather than
> {'ogh}.
>
> One other alternative is the verb {ren} "design". It implies designing
> something instead of inventing it. My point is that "a language" is not
> something you need to invent. There are many languages, so there's no
> need to invent the concept of "language".
>
> Compare it to cars, houses or other things that are "designed {ren}".
> The {Duj 'oghwI'} is the person who invented the car, not the one who
> designed Ford's latest model.
>
> But that's not a final thing, only a suggestion. I'll leave it open for
> discussion.

My impression was that {ren} is restricted (or at least closely associated
with) the design of physical objects like buildings, vehicles, or weapons.
I think a conlang *is* something new that one invents. {HollIj tlhIn
yI'ogh} is not saying that you're inventing the concept of language, but
your own specific language. I think the {-lIj} and {tlhIn} makes it rather
clear, like if someone said {DujDaj tlhIn 'oghta'}, it'd be clear that
you're talking about a person who invented a specific car, not cars in
general.

--
De'vID