[tlhIngan Hol] windlass

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 7 07:22:32 PST 2020

Sure.  You can also use a windlass with a cable (either fiber or metal)  or a chain.  Here's Google's definition :

    a type of winch used especially on ships to hoist anchors and haul on mooring lines and, especially formerly, to lower buckets into and hoist them up from wells.
    ORIGIN:  late Middle English: probably an alteration of obsolete *windas*, via Anglo-Norman French from Old Norse *vindáss*, literally "winding pole".

And here's another from https://www.dictionary.com/browse/windlass :

    a device for raising or hauling objects, usually consisting of a horizontal cylinder or barrel turned by a crank, lever, motor, or the like, upon which a cable, rope, or chain winds, the outer end of the cable being attached directly or indirectly to the weight to be raised or the thing to be hauled or pulled; winch.

--
Voragh