[tlhIngan Hol] "Make your own language"?

kechpaja at kechpaja.com kechpaja at kechpaja.com
Tue Feb 4 04:03:29 PST 2020

On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 12:24:14PM +0100, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
>Am 04.02.2020 um 11:40 schrieb De'vID:
>> I suggest {HollIj tlhIn yI'ogh}:
>> * {Hol} n. language
>> * {-lIj} your
>> * {tlhIn} v. be particular, individual
>> * {yI-} verb prefix for you-it
>> * {'ogh} v. invent, devise
>>
>> An alternative is to use {chenmoH} "cause to take form" rather than {'ogh}.
>
>One other alternative is the verb {ren} "design". It implies designing
>something instead of inventing it. My point is that "a language" is not
>something you need to invent. There are many languages, so there's no
>need to invent the concept of "language".
>
>Compare it to cars, houses or other things that are "designed {ren}".
>The {Duj 'oghwI'} is the person who invented the car, not the one who
>designed Ford's latest model.
>
>But that's not a final thing, only a suggestion. I'll leave it open for
>discussion.

Given the artistic element of conlanging, an argument could be made to
use {qon} 'to record, compose', traditionally used for the writing of
music or literature. An additional benefit of both {qon} and Lieven's
suggestion {ren} is that you wouldn't have an apostrophe in the phrase,
if there were any typographical concerns related to that.

If you wanted to get really technical, you could use {qon} for the act
of creating an artlang, {ren} for an engelang or planned language, and
{'ogh} for conlanging in general, but I think we're looking for a single
phrase here.

  - kechpaja / SapIr -