[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghung

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 7 12:48:30 PST 2020

Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, December 06, 2020

Klingon word: 	ghung
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	be hungry

jIghung
I'm hungry. CK
I am hungry. PK

SoSoy jIghung
Mommy, I'm hungry. KGT

wa'Hu' jIghung
Yesterday I was hungry. CK

jIghungqu'
I am very hungry. PK

jIghung je
I am also hungry. PK

qagh largh SuvwI' ghung.  Sum qagh 'e' Sov.
The hungry warrior smells the gagh. He/she knows the gagh is
 nearby.  (HQ 12/1998)

ghung; qagh rur
hungry as gagh. KGT

SuvwI' ghung law' qagh ghung rap
the warrior is as hungry as gagh (HQ 13.1:10)

(Lieven, qepHom'a', 11/15/2011):  I asked if there were a word for "satisfied, I'm full", i.e. you had eaten enough. MO said no, but accepted {ghungHa'} for "not hungry any more".  You cannot use it though to say that you are not hungry, that should be {ghungbe'} "not hungry".  But if you are hungry first, then you eat enough, then you can say {DaH jIghungHa'} "Now I am un-hungry" (= "not hungry any more"). It also works with {'oj} the same way.

SEE ALSO:
Sop 		eat (v)
noS 		eat in small mouthfuls, nibble (v)
'oj 		be thirsty
je' 		feed (someone else) (v)
natlh 		use up (v)
qur 		be greedy (v)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

[Feel free to mention any relevant vocabulary or usage notes from
 the last year or so which I’ve missed. I’ve fallen woefully behind in
 updating my notes. ]