[tlhIngan Hol] new words qepHom 2020

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 16:05:53 PST 2020

loScha'mey chu' vItu'ta'.

=====================

buq'ach "trombone" - "sackbut" was the name of a Renaissance-era instrument
similar to a trombone

chI "menstruate" - not a pun, per se, but perhaps supposed to be
etymologically related to chI'ID "uterus"

HommaH "appendix" - "bonus" ("bone + us")

Hovje'voH "evolution" - in the TNG episode "Evolution", nanites cause
malfunctions in the Enterprise's computers, including playing Sousa's
"Stars and Stripes Forever". ('ejvoH is already a "stars and stripes" pun,
leading to the near-palindrome here.)

Ho'yI' "bow" - Houyi is the name of a mythological Chinese archer

jejSIp "acetylene" - "sharp + gas", perhaps an in-universe reference to its
use in cutting metal

navSu' "key, legend" - backwards, "leg + end"

rem'ay' "thoracic diaphragm" - the in-universe derivation might be "suck" +
"part", since the diaphragm is needed to expand the lungs in order to make
suction

targho'nI' "tungsten" - aka wolfram. The earliest etymology for the name
"wolfram" is the Latin "lupi spuma", meaning "wolf's froth". Presumably on
Qo'noS, targs are also noticeably frothy.

tarngeb "uranium" - uranium naturally occurs in an ore called uraninite,
once known as pitchblende. "Pitch" is also known as tar. "Blende" is
another kind of ore also known as false galena. "Tar" + "false (galena)"

tochmu' "bribe" - this one is a bit of a stretch, but here goes. "Grease
someone's palm" is slang for offering a bribe. "Crease" sounds very similar
to "grease". Possibly toch + (Da)mu' = tochmu'?

va'chum "sponge" - backwards, sounds like "mooch off". "To mooch off of
someone" and "to sponge off of someone" are both slang expressions for
being lazy and taking advantage of others.

'ebHIv "distilling apparatus" - "still" means both "distilling apparatus"
and "not moving" (vIHbe')