[tlhIngan Hol] new words qepHom 2020

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Thu Dec 17 09:53:17 PST 2020

> … unless you are commenting on the idea of using {-pu’} on a verb in a clause with {wejHa’} at its head,

> which seems simple enough that I wonder why it even bears comment.

I suspect it was included with the question, or just pre-empting possible future questions.

> In a simple sentence, an adverbial comes before the main verb. If there is a dependent clause,

> would the adverbial come before the clause it applies to, or would it come before a dependent

> clause that precedes the main clause, even if it were meant to apply to the main verb?

It seems logical that it should be in the same (sub)clause as the action it is modifying, and there is at least some support for this:

{bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'.}

{bImejDI', reH betleHlIj yItlhap.}

{De' lI' Sovlu'DI', chaq Do'Ha'.}

One can also contrast:

{Hoch DaSopbe'chugh, batlh bIHeghbe'.}

with

{batlhHa' vanglu'taHvIS quv chavbe'lu'.}

and

{batlh Heghlu'chugh noDnISbe' vay'.}

There's also all the {bIjeghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh.}, where the {vaj} in the main clause is referencing the conditional clause.

I do believe that there have been exceptions, but I can't think of any clear examples.

An arguable examples of an adverbial modifying more than a single (sub)clause can be seen in:

{DuHIvchugh ghol vaj qaStaHvIS may'vetlh HoSDaq ghob luchel quv ghajbogh tlhInganpu'lI'.}

("If an opponent attacks you, during that battle your Klingons with Honor add INTEGRITY to STRENGTH.")

I don't think the {vaj} here is really modifying {qaStaHvIS may'vetlh} in isolation, but rather the entire sentence that follows. The {vaj} isn't really there to describe the nature of the battle that's occuring; it just helps to break up the sentence into a neat if-then structure.

There's also

{DuHIv jagh Dangu'laHbe'bogh, vaj bIwunchoH 'ej bIpujchoH.}

where I interpret the {vaj} as applying equally well to both {bIwunchoH} and {bIpujchoH}, but does not need to be repeated; the causal relationship is fresh in the reader's mind, and so the meaning of {vaj} can cross the sentence boundary, whether or not it formally does so according to the grammatical rules governing adverbials.

The way I tend to think of it is that the natural scope of an adverbial is the clause in which it is placed, but because Klingon is not lojban, it can be more fluid than that.

//loghaD