[tlhIngan Hol] thoughts on Qeq face (orient towards)

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Aug 18 07:19:18 PDT 2020

vIchup:

julDaq Qeq Duj.

The ship faces the Sun.

Qeqchuq Duj.

The ships face each other.

SIla’Daq Qeq’egh HoD.

The captain faced himself in the mirror. He didn’t merely face the mirror. He wasn’t standing off to the side, looking at someone else in the mirror. He faced himself in the mirror.

We can’t get too hung up trying to make prepositions in English directly match a literal translation of Klingon. These glosses and verbal guidelines are primarily intended to explain how a word conveys meaning and works grammatically in Klingon.

If {Qeq} has what English would consider a direct object as in “The ship faces the Sun,” or a prepositional object “The ship orients itself toward the Sun”, that noun requires {-Daq} in Klingon.

If the thing one faces is another member of the first person plural subject, you use {-chuq} and there is no use for {-Daq} because there is no explicit noun indicating the target direction one is facing. If one faces one’s self, you use {-‘egh} and again, you have no need for {-Daq}.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.