[tlhIngan Hol] unable to use the upper case letter to specify by not specifying

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Wed Aug 12 08:08:25 PDT 2020

I’m tempted to suggest that the Internet has invented a class of inflammatory speech hitherto unknown to humankind, but one need only look at political pamphlets and letters going back to early written speech to prove otherwise.

My wife and I are currently reading a book on Servetis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Servetus) and Calvin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Calvin) where one of the more significant moments in history centered around a written exchange between the two disrespecting each other’s perspective, culminating in Servetis being burned at the stake; specifically that he be burned over a low flame so it would take longer to kill him and he’d suffer longer. It took half an hour for him to stop screaming, though he was posthumously respected for his conviction to his belief, since he never recanted anything throughout the ordeal, not that the respect benefitted him much. It did make things temporarily awkward for Calvin, though.

Though Servetis lost the legal argument, he was pretty obviously the better Biblical scholar of the two, and apparently discovered a truer model of the human circulatory system than had existed in medical science 75 years before the guy most commonly credited for having figured it out. Spoiler Alert: Blood flows from the heart to the lungs, then back to the heart before being distributed to most  living cells in the body (except the clear, gooey parts of the eyeballs), and then it gets pumped back to the heart. He was the first to realize that the lungs got something out of the air and added it to the blood and took something out of the blood and moved it to the air and the rest of the body benefitted from this process.

Calvin was less intelligent, but more clever than Servetis, winning political battles that successfully caused enormous, unnecessary suffering to millions of people for generations.

Anyway, the intensity of language used in making a point rarely wins the argument in the long run.

Unnecessary falling to words like “fall on our knees”, which nobody suggested, or “It would be pathetic to” do something nobody here suggests that you would have to do, nor must you “blindly swallow” anything. You don’t have to behave like a “slave”, either. Nobody here thinks you do, and odds are you know that, despite your self-cast role as victim of some evil conspiracy to control you.

Your point would earn more respect if it could be stated without this disproportionate intensity.

You may not like that simple truth. You may feel passionately driven to respond to it with even more intensity, but it won’t change the simple truth.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.