[tlhIngan Hol] not repeating the 'e' of a sao

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Aug 4 14:14:42 PDT 2020

I had the game. It was more of a video with decision points that changed the outcome.

The device was used by a dishonorable Klingon to attempt an assassination of the hero. It’s discovery was noted with obvious disgust for its cowardice.

As for “Do you have to repeat the object?”, TKD explains that it is more common to repeat words in Klingon for clarity than it is in English, though this repetition is obviously not necessary for grammatical reasons. Okrand is just telling us that if you choose to repeat a word as you have done so, it will not bother Klingon speakers like it might bother English speakers to do the same thing. It is not uncommon in Klingon speech, according to that description, though I’m not sure we’ve actually seen a lot of that in canon. It might have been an idea that Okrand had that he has not actually implemented in canon.

Leaving aside the {nejwI’} I don’t see why your First Question suggestion wouldn’t be allowed, though it might be of limited productivity, since whatever else you do, you’ll be better understood if {‘e’} goes between the sentence it represents and the sentence it serves as object for. Attempts to combine verb conjunctions and SAO might tempt you to compose sentences that would embed the sentence represented by {‘e’} within the sentence using it as an object, and even if this isn’t considered to be illegal grammar, it won’t be easily understood, and it might be considered annoying.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.