[tlhIngan Hol] thoughts on Qeq face (orient towards)

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Aug 18 07:11:55 PDT 2020

On 8/18/2020 9:57 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> 'a wotvam DeltaHvIS 'oqranD, qatlh QIjlaw'ghachvam 'otHa'pu' ? qatlh
> maHvaD {Qeqchuq} QIjchu'pu'be' ?
>
> chaq not maSov..

I suspect he was thinking: *Qeq* means /aim,/ and I'm going to
generalize that /orient something./ That means the subject of the verb
has to be "aiming" the object, so the thing faced has to be the
locative. But to talk about someone or something "facing" something
else, someone needs to cause the object to be oriented toward the
target? Who is the subject? Mostly, when you talk about someone facing
something, no one is making someone else face something, the object
makes itself face something. That's reflexive, and the two reflexive
suffixes are *-'egh* and *-chuq.* So someone can face themselves at
something, or plural someones can—OH LOOK, A SQUIRREL!

In other words, I don't think he considered whether *-chuq* is actually
useful. I think he only considered the syntax, that the object is also
the subject.