[tlhIngan Hol] thoughts on the -be'pu' vs -pu'be'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Apr 30 07:22:54 PDT 2020

On 4/30/2020 10:01 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> So, yes; from personal experience I understand that a native speaker
> doesn't care the slightest, about these details..
> However, I do believe that it's always better if we know how things
> work, even if in the end we tend not to (over)analyze things in the
> actual everyday use of klingon.

I don't think you follow me. I'm saying there is no prescribed correct
answer. The correct answer to "How does the grammar work?" is "However
it's used by the consensus of its speakers."

Klingon is complicated by the fact that we have almost no access to its
native speakers, so we cannot easily sample them to determine their
consensus. But if what evidence we have shows us that Klingons freely
order these suffixes however they want, then that's grammatically
correct, regardless of what a textbook prescribes as rules.

So you can construct elaborate examples and convoluted logic to describe
the inner workings of the language, but in the end none of that matters
if it doesn't agree with how Klingons actually speak. A grammar textbook
is merely a description of a language, not the language itself.