[tlhIngan Hol] If pIqaD became Ca'Non..

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Thu Apr 30 03:00:43 PDT 2020

Am 30.04.2020 um 11:15 schrieb Andrew Mac:
> It would be great to be able to visualize how a dictionary used by the
> Klingons would be alphabetized. I wonder what the alphabetical order is
> in Klingon. I like the request for Klingon alphabetical order at the
> chabal page, and don’t understand why so many people are downvoting it.

I guess because that's not something useful to have. I mean, what would
it change? What's the purpose of having that?

Next, we live in a world of parallel universes regarding the Klingon
writing system, and they overlap.
- TKD says "we know nothing about the writing system, and we use the
English alphabetical order for convenience".
- KLI says "here's a suggestion" and everybody uses it, but it's not canon
- DSC uses those same letters, making them Star Trek canon.
- nitpickers say that those letters are never canonically explained, so
they could mean anything.

So depending on what game we play, reading Klingon is "very hard"
(Scotty, ST4) or it's a simply sound-to-character mapping.

Where I'm pointing to is that I believe that Okrand intentionally keeps
avoiding saying anything about the alphabet, because he first wrote in
TKD that we do not know about it. Of course, he "accepts" what we are
using, but that does not make it canon. If he would provide a Klingon
alphabetical order, he would have to either base it on our used KLI
pIqaD (thus making it "okrandian" canon), or he would need to make up
something entirely different — and that could be anything (and knowing
him, it would be something very irregularly complicated).

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"