[tlhIngan Hol] placement of question words with regards to a {-'e'}ed noun

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Mon Apr 27 10:40:11 PDT 2020

Am 27.04.2020 um 16:03 schrieb mayqel qunen'oS:
> But recently I begun to wonder.. What if we want to ask something
> like: "as for (noun), why/how whatever" ? Then what happens ? Do we
> write {noun'e' chay'/qatlh whatever} or do we write {chay'/qatlh
> noun'e' whatever} ?
>
> If I think in english, then {noun'e' chay'/qatlh whatever} "feels" to
> be more correct. But if I think in klingon, then {chay'/qatlh noun'e'
> whatever} "feels" better.

I have no definite meaning about this, but if someone says the phrase,
which is canon: {HaqwI''e' DaH yISam}

maybe the answer could be {HaqwI''e' qatlh vISamnIS?}

But in this case, it is only said that "the adverbial may follow the
object noun", but nobody talks about question words. So we could start a
discussion if a question word is an adverbial?

I think this only aplies to adverbials, but I think that is sounds quite
right to use questions in there as well.

Nevertheless, saying it in the correct / usual way certainly is a better
way to go, but I know you don't like that answer. :-)

BTW, I tried to make a summary of word order in the Wiki, although it
does not answer you specific question:
klingon.wiki/En/WordOrder

Sorry to leave this comment only with a half answer.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"