[tlhIngan Hol] mu' chu': 'aS 'IDnar pIn'a' Dun

Jackson Bradley j.monroe.bradley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 08:28:50 PDT 2020

I also neglected to include a new comment on *kiss* in my original edit to
the Wiki but have since added it. I'll post it here. I had a question about
*kiss* since it comes up more than a few times in the book and I know that
there's lots of hesitation surrounding the use of *chop* for this:

For "kiss," chop seems to have become the established translation. But, of
course, to chop is to kiss Klingon-style. To make it clear that that's not
what's happening in Oz, I was going to suggest *pe'vIlHa' chop*. I see you
used *pe'vIlHa' chop* for when the witch kissed Dorothy "gently on the
forehead," so, unless that changes, you can't use *pe'vIl chop* for
"(non-Klingon) kiss" in general. Maybe *loQ chop* will work for the more
general case. Or maybe just use chop and let it go at that. There's no
straightforward, simple Klingon word for "(human-style) kiss." A
non-standard, slangy expression for this is *'ep*. And Maltz says he thinks
he once heard someone say *qab rem*, but he tried hard to picture that and
didn't consider it to be good Klingon at all — not even good slang.

>>> DeSDu'