[tlhIngan Hol] {-pu'} vs {-ta'} on verbs of speech

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Apr 20 06:18:57 PDT 2020

On 4/20/2020 8:55 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:

> Unless someone:
>

> a. talks in his sleep
>
> b. is drunk/intoxicated
>
> c. is being possessed by the devil
>

> then I think that *always* we can use {-ta'} instead of {-pu'} to
> refer to the event of speech which has taken place.
>

> So, we can say {jatlhta'} instead of {jatlhpu'}, {ja'ta'} instead of
> {ja'pu'}, and (although they don't typically qualify as verbs of
> speech) {ghelta'} and {jangta'}.
>

> With the exception of the three cases already mentioned, people talk
> intentionally. They set out to talk, and then do so.
>

> Whether they finally end up saying the things they wanted to say is
> another story. But the "talking event", (where the aspect suffix
> refers), is always intentional.

The point of *-ta'* isn't just that something was done intentionally.
The point is that something was /accomplished./ It's not just that the
action was performed under my own willpower; I'm making the point that I
deliberately set out to accomplish something and did.

Klingon is not a scientific language attempting to accurately define
events in the universe. It doesn't describe things objectively. Every
sentence has a viewpoint. Klingon is a means of personal expression. If
accomplishment is not part of what I want to express, then I shouldn't
use *-ta'* instead of *-pu'.*

If I'm telling the story of how someone asked me if I like stuffed tobaj
legs, and I want to express that I said yes, I probably won't use
*jIjatlhta' HIja'.* Whether my speech was directed by my own will isn't
important here; what's important is whether saying yes was an event I
set out to accomplish and whether that matters at all. In this case, it
doesn't matter at all. The appropriate sentence would be *jIjatlhpu' HIja'.*

Imagine saying "and I meant to do that" after each sentence you think
deserves a *-ta'.* If the "and I meant to do that" seems pointless,
*-ta'* is not really appropriate. "He asked me if I like stuffed tobaj
legs. I said yes, and I meant to say that." The addition is silly, so
*-ta'* should not be used. On the other hand, "When I saw the guard, I
killed him, and I meant to do that." Here, the addition fits right in,
so *-ta'* would be perfectly appropriate, though still optional. This
isn't a rule, just a guideline you can use to figure out which suffix to
use.