[tlhIngan Hol] does the {-ta'} leave room for interpretation for the {-pu'} ?

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 08:19:03 PDT 2020

charghwI':
> You seem to be ignoring the option of saying {qaqIpbe’ta’}
> and treating that as if it were synonymous with {qaqIpta’be’}.
> The former definitely means that I accomplished not hitting you.
> I had a goal of not hitting you and I achieved it

ok, I understand the meaning of {qaqIpbe’ta’} (or at least I think I
do..); but my problem is how to say: "I didn't (set out to hit you and
subsequently hit you)". I don't want to say "I accomplished not
hitting you".

Lets approach this differently..

Situation: No hitting has taken place, and all parties involved know this.

I don't want to say: "I did not hit you (and I did it deliberately)"
I do want to say: "I did not inflict a deliberate hit on you"

~ mayqel qunen'oS