[tlhIngan Hol] An additional layer to the "verb-centered"ness of klingon.

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 06:59:31 PDT 2020

On numerous occasions I've read, that one of the ways to see if a
person is lying, is by noticing if he's trying to "distance" himself
from whatever he's being asked about. A person lying, will try to
distance himself from the issue he's lying about, which is something
which often manifests by him using noun-centered speech.

For example, if the interrogator asks an officer: "did you betray our
position to the romulan fleet ?" Then, an officer telling the truth
would be more likely to reply "no, I didn't", whether someone lying,
would be more prone to saying something like: "no disclosing of our
position to the romulans took place".

Now, I'd be the last person to concern myself with what a klingon
would or would not say, or how he'd choose to say it..

But every time I read/see/hear the way a person lying would choose to
reply, i.e. usually by resorting to noun-centered speech, I can't help
wondering whether the "verb-centered"ness of klingon, couldn't have
the additional purpose of expressing an important characteristic of
the warrior race:

That a warrior needs to be honest, assuming responsibilty for his
actions, which primarily is achieved by telling/admiting the truth.
Or, seeing this in reverse.. Klingons use a verb-centered language,
because their "default" behavior is telling the truth.

Not that there wouldn't be dishonest klingons, and of course someone
can lie and be dishonest in "verb-centered" speech as well; but I just
can't shake the impression that there can be an additional "layer", an
additional significance to the "verb-centered"ness of klingon..

~ mayqel qunen'oS
damn, do I love klingon !