[tlhIngan Hol] mu' chu': 'aS 'IDnar pIn'a' Dun

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Thu Apr 23 12:24:07 PDT 2020

Am 23.04.2020 um 20:29 schrieb SuStel:
>> puq lut n. fairy tale
>> puq lut rorgh n. fairy tale
[...]
> See especially J.R.R. Tolkien's essay /On Fairy Stories./ He would
> object to calling fairy tales /child-stories/ the way Klingon does.

Oh, yes - that is true. And I think there is no reason to see this as a
set phrase. Note that Okrand gave all these as "I'd probably go with A
or B or C." so it looks like you can - or even have to - choose
depending on context.

In addition, {lut rorgh} indicates nothing about children, so also not a
fairy tale in the sense of "children bedtimes tory". Basically a {lut
rorgh} can be any kind of story.

One might even say that Okrand didn't give us a word for "fairy tale",
only a suggestion to describe the idea.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"