[tlhIngan Hol] {-pu'} vs {-ta'} on verbs of speech

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 05:55:01 PDT 2020

Unless someone:

a. talks in his sleep

b. is drunk/intoxicated

c. is being possessed by the devil

then I think that *always* we can use {-ta'} instead of {-pu'} to refer to the event of speech which has taken place.

So, we can say {jatlhta'} instead of {jatlhpu'}, {ja'ta'} instead of {ja'pu'}, and (although they don't typically qualify as verbs of speech) {ghelta'} and {jangta'}.

With the exception of the three cases already mentioned, people talk intentionally. They set out to talk, and then do so.

Whether they finally end up saying the things they wanted to say is another story. But the "talking event", (where the aspect suffix refers), is always intentional.

~ mayqel qunen'oS