[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'opleS

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 24 08:20:27 PDT 2019

Klingon word: 'opleS
Part of speech: noun
Definition: one day
Source: paq'batlh

qeylIS loDnI'
   'opleS chovan
   tuqmaj vIDevmo'
qeylIS loDnI'
   'opleS bIHaghbe'
   'opleS 'opleS 'opleS

One day, brother Kahless,
   You will bow before me
   As leader of our house.
One day, brother Kahless,
   You will not be laughing.
   One day, one day, one day!   (PB)

Non-Canon examples from Discovery:

Suto'vo'qor vIjaH 'ach 'opleS jIchegh 'e' vIlay'
["I go to StoVoKor, but I promise to come back one day."]
(untranslated inscription on sarcophagus plinth, DSC "The Vulcan Hello")

DaH Suto'vo'qor vIjaH 'ach 'opleS jIchegh 'e' vIlay'
["Now I go to StoVoKor, but I promise to come back one day."]
(untranslated motto on darsek coin, DSC "Will You Take My hand?")

SEE:
'op  		some, an unknown or unspecified quantity (n)

SEE ALSO:
tuch 		the future (as a whole) (n)
pa'logh 		past, the past (as a whole) (n)

'op pIq 		at some point in the future (qep'a' 2016)
'op ret  		at some point in the past (qep'a' 2016)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons