[tlhIngan Hol] to be sentences with {-bogh} and the {-'e'}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Sep 24 06:26:18 PDT 2019

On 9/24/2019 8:30 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> Am 24.09.2019 um 14:23 schrieb mayqel qunen'oS:> {Qun 'oHbe'bogh
> vIghro''e' wIghajnISbe'}
>> we don't need to have a cat which isn't a god
>>
>> What is the role of the {-'e'} on the {vIghro'} ?
>
> It marks the topic, making clear that we do not need a CAT which is not
> a god, instead of saying we don't need the GOD that the cat is not.

It marks the head noun of the relative clause, which can be thought of
as the topic of the relative clause. It does not mark the topic of the
sentence as a whole.

When *-'e'* is used for one purpose, it doesn't seem to mean the others
simultaneously. So when *-'e'* marks the head noun of a relative clause,
it probably doesn't also indicate emphasis or focus.