[tlhIngan Hol] Combining adverbials

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 20:09:33 PDT 2019

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 9:41 PM Hugh Son puqloD <Hugh at qeylis.net> wrote:

> Do we have any canon examples of sentences with multiple adverbials? For
> example:
>
> {nom Sop}
> {tlhoy nom Sop}
> {pIj tlhoy nom Sop}
> {ghaytan pIj tlhoy nom Sop}

There are a few in the paq'batlh (and even one with three adverbials):

*loDnI'wI'    bIQeHba'    chaq batlh bIvangqa'laH*
*M**y brother, I see your anger,*

*    You might have a chance    To make amends.*
(p. 100-101)

*jatlh 'e' mevDI' qeylIS, lop    chaq tugh batlh Heghmo'    'ej chaq tugh
charghmo' *

*After Kahless’s words, they celebrate,    For they may soon die with
honor!    For they may soon be victorious!*
(p. 120-121)

*jIlay'ta' 'ej batlh jIpabta'    vaj choDanIS    reH batlh SuvtaHjaj chaH*

*I have kept my word of honor,    And so should you,    Let endless battle
and honor await them!*
(p. 150-151)

*Hay'chu' luneHqu'    vaj pe'vIl joqqu'    cha' tlhIngan tIqDu'*

*Both Klingon hearts beat,    At their strongest,    In lust for blood.*
(p. 166-167)

If we do have evidence of multiple adverbials in the same sentence, do we
> have enough examples to know how scoping works? For example, if multiple
> adverbials can be used together (and I don’t see any reason why they
> wouldn’t be), I would expect something like:
>
> {tlhoy nom Sop} - They eat too quickly
> {nom tlhoy Sop} - They quickly eat excessively

We don't know for sure, but it doesn't look there's necessarily any scoping
going on. As far as we know, adverbials apply to the verb, not other
adverbials. Without further guidance from Maltz, I wouldn't expect any
major difference in meaning between *tlhoy nom Sop* and *nom tlhoy Sop*. I
would expect them both to mean "They eat quickly and excessively".