[tlhIngan Hol] po 8 am, or 8 am po ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Sep 11 12:08:51 PDT 2019

On 9/11/2019 2:42 PM, Steven Boozer wrote:
> Why not?  Generally doesn’t mean always.  When I was in the Navy
> people intermixed both civilian and military systems constantly:

"Generally" not doing something means you're not "constantly" doing it.
I would say your Navy experience does not correspond to what Okrand
describes in his message. The Navy is not Klingon society.

The description of *'arlogh Qoylu'pu'* suggests that most of the time
Klingons will use "military time" in one way or another. Okrand suggests
that non-military contexts are somewhat rare, and don't forget how
/Power Klingon/ tells us that nearly everyone wears military markings.
The use of *Qoylu'pu'* among Klingons to tell the time will be rare.

We can easily imagine such contexts. A Klingon child is told to go to
bed; he or she demands to know, *'arlogh Qoylu'pu'?* A couple are in bed
after mating, and one of them is due to ship out at 0730 hours; he or
she might ask, *'arlogh Qoylu'pu'?*

But if you're aboard your ship and someone wants to know when this
week's in-flight movie starts, they'd say *rep yIper,* because "military
time" is likely the standard throughout the Empire.

So the question is whether you can express not-on-the-hour times with
*Qoylu'pu',* not whether you can substitute a military time answer in a
non-military context. And that, we don't know.