[tlhIngan Hol] to be sentences with {-bogh} and the {-'e'}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Sep 24 06:34:44 PDT 2019

On 9/24/2019 9:05 AM, Will Martin wrote:

> Relative clauses are “light” grammatical tools, ill suited for heavy
> grammatical work. If you want to get fancy with relative clauses, you
> probably don’t really want to speak Klingon. You just want to mess
> with it. Marking the head noun with {-‘e’} already is about as fancy
> as Klingon gets with relative clauses.

Hang on there. I agree that you shouldn't construct extremely
complicated relative clauses — or any clauses, really. Klingon is
ill-suited to those long Victorian sentences.

    /No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth
    century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by
    intelligences greater than man’s and yet as mortal as his own; that
    as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were
    scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a
    microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and
    multiply in a drop of water./

Don't do that. But there are times and situations when longer sentences
might be appropriate in Klingon, and we shouldn't assign motivations to
people who do or hint that they don't belong. What we /should/ do is
suggest a better Klingon style and explain why it's more readable or
understandable.