[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chIl

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 30 09:05:19 PDT 2019

Thanks.  Here's the entire quote as I currently have it:

[MO > Lieven, qepHom 2017 p.15]:  In another message about {weS}, you wrote '{chIl} means lose in the sense of misplace, be unable to find, lose track of."  It can be used for misplacing your keys, but also for things like losing the signal of something you've been tracking.  Lose in the sense of no longer have (presumably permanently), as in "we've lost a lot of soldiers" is a different word: {weS}.  This verb means lose in the sense of undergo a reduction of or suffer a reduction of, as in "he lost a lot of blood".'  To say lose as in "She lost the baby" or "She lost her husband" just say {Heghpu' ghu} or {Heghpu' loDnalDaj}.  Similarly, for "we have lost a lot of warriors", say {Heghpu' SuvwI'pu'ma' law'}.  {SuvwI'pu' DIweSpu'} is fine, but it implies that the warriors are gone or missing or are severely injured and not expected to return (or to return anytime soon), but they may or may not be dead.

Have I got the attributions and nested quotations right?

Voragh